26/02/2013

Sunday Morning













We've been in the house for a week now, and I must say I don't miss the old flat at all. We finally have a nice kitchen. And light. The only sad thing is that my sister left London last Saturday, she is now back in France and it feels weird. I needed a comforting breakfast for Sunday. I've been meaning to bake pancakes for ages but I must say that our old kitchen just put me off the whole thing. So on Saturday I bought some maple syrup - it'll never be as good as the one my mum brought me back from Quebec - and off I went.

It wasn't the lightest breakfast, but it was so good. I love mine with butter or maple syrup, Tom has them with lemon and sugar. They smelled gorgeous and we enjoyed it so much that next time we are planning on making the dough the night before so we just have cook them in the pan in the morning. Tom isn't normally a huge fan and really enjoyed them, I was pleased and I'm definitely keeping that recipe. 

Ingredients:
  • 135g self raising flour (or plain flour + 1tsp baking powder)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 130ml milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp melted butter

Recipe:

  • Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
  • Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
  • Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it's melted, add a ladle of batter. It will seem very thick but this is how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen.
  • Repeat until all the batter is used up.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment